Saturday, November 6, 2010

Order of Operations

The Language Of Math

B- stands for brackets ( )
E- stands for exponents a2
D- stands for division
M- stands for multiplication
A- stands for addition
S- stands for subtraction

Note: Division, Multiplication, Addition and Subtraction moves in order from left to right.






Questions:

1.) Annie has been asked to calculate 1.7 + 6÷2. She claims the answer is 3.85. Do you agree? Explain why or why not.
Answer: Annie is wrong because the right answer is 4.7 . Here is the solution:




2.) Put brackets in the following expression to get the largest value possible. What strategy did you use?
Answer: I used multiplication or division as my strategy. Here's how I did it.


3.) Zack wants to buy a ruler that cost 1.60 each, then he saw a book that cost 2.50 and he saw a package of pens that cost 1.25. He want to buy 1 book, 1 package of pens and 5 rulers, but he only has $ 8.00. Does he have enough money to buy all those things?
Answer: No. Zack doesn't have enough money to buy those things because 1 book, 1 package of pens and 5 rulers cost $ 11.75. Here is my solution:



Here's a website to help you learn B.E.D.M.A.S.
Here`s a video to help you more :)





I hope I help you! (:

12 comments:

Aicelle817 said...

i like your explanation but you might want to add colours to make it more outstanding. Anyways good job on your post.

daphne906 said...

Nice Job! You're solution is very understandable, But you should have used another colour for the important words.

Tinille8-73 said...

Thanks but my computer doesn`t want me to add colours. I dont know why!

joshL814 said...

If your computer doesn't want you to add different colours, just make them bold. That will make it easier to understand. I like your made up problem though!

Ian814 said...

Great job, where did you get the picture It really helped.

MJ 8-16 said...

GREAT JOB!I like the explanation It help.your solution is understandable.but you have to add colors or make him Bold

Amiel816 said...

Good job, you dont have to upload a video just embed a code on youtube and click html on the new post and paste it anywere.

Isabel873 said...

Good Job Tinille!!!! I really like the way you made the words bold but you might want to put different color next time but it was very good!!!!!

Mary816 said...

Good job! i liked how you explained it, but one thing you should do next time is on your 2nd picture, is the put the = sign , but good job!

Carlor 8-14 said...

Good job! I like your picture it made me understand further, we have the same problem about adding the colours, I can't add colors in my post but, I like your solution it's understandable. Great job!

oudorn817 said...

Nice job! I like your video, it helped me understand BEDMAS more clearly. You should change the important words to bold or colour.

norien873 said...

Great job Tinille! I liked how you had a link, a video, pictures and color! Your video is kid of boring though, but i liked how it wasn't that long and how it wasn't confusing.