Friday, November 5, 2010

Solution to the 3 Questions


1.) Annie has been asked to calculate 1.7 + 6 / 2. She claims the answer is 3.85. Do you agree? Explain why or why not?
Answer: No. She is wrong. Here is my solution.


2.) Put brackets in the following expression to get the largest value possible. What problem solving strategy did you use? 3 x 2.8 + 6.4 /(divide) 4


a.)

a.)
step1: I put brackets in 3 x 2.8.
step2: I multiplied it and got the answer 8.4.
step3: I brought all the other expressions down.
step4: I divided 6.4 / 4 and got the answer 1.6.
step5: Then I brought all the other expressions down.
step6: I added 8.4 and 1.6 and got the answer 10.

b.)





b.) step1: I put brackets in 2.8 + 6.4.
step2: I added it and got the answer 9.2.
step3: I brought all the other expressions down.
step4: I multiplied 3 x 9.2 and got the answer 27.6
step5: Then I brought all the other expressions down.
step6: I divided 27.6 / 4 and got the answer 6.9.


c.)


c.) step1: I put brackets in 6.4 / 4.
step2: I divided it and got the answer 1.6.
step3: I brought all the other expressions down.
step4: I multiplied 3 x 2.8 and got the answer 8.4.
step5: Then I brought all the other expressions down.
step6: I added 8.4 and 1.6 and got the answer 10.

Which has the largest value?
a.) 10 | b.) 6.9 | c.) 10
Answer:
a and c has the same answer. Both of them also have the largest value.



3.) Create a problem that could be solved using the following expression. 2.5 + 1.25 + 5 x 1.6.

Problem:
Joe wants to know what the answer to 2.5 + 1.25 + 5 x 1.6 is. He estimated 42.98. Do you agree? Explain why or why not?

Answer: No. He is wrong. Here is the right answer.



Order of Operation:
Example #2 from class

6 - 2 / 2=
\/
6 - 1=
\/
5


Here is a link to help you.
http://www.funbrain.com/algebra/index.html

Here is a video of a class singing about the Order of Operation. They call it Pemdas instead of Bedmas, but I think it's the same thing. Enjoy!




I hope you understood!

14 comments:

CarloS8-16 said...

goodjob! joshua I'm only gonna say is i like that you give a example how to do BEDMAS step buy step and i like that you change some words to different colours.I would say you really did i goodjob because you have everthing on there you explain how to do it you have a video,picture and a link that we can work on.Keep up the goodwork!

ghelo8-14 said...

GOOD JOB JOSHUA !!!!!!!! I LOVE HOW MUCH EFFORT AND INFO YOU PUT IN THIS SCRIBE-POST. EVERY DETAIL WAS AMAZING. I THINK YOU DID EVERYTHING YOU NEEDED TO DO. GREAT JOB!!!!!

I LIKE YOUR VIDEO LOL n_n !!!! hahahah

oudorn817 said...

Good job! I like how you explained the steps with an example picture, it helped me a lot. I think you posted everything you needed!Great job!

Tinille8-73 said...

Good Job! I like how you give lots of effort to do your scribe, i liked how you put some colors, I like your picture and video! :) YOU did an AMAZING JOB!

Jeremy814 said...

Very well done Joshua! I like how you put that image where it explains what
B.E.D.M.A.S is! GREAT JOB!

John816 said...

Good Job Josh you did good effort and explain how you get the answer and you show your thinking.

hendrix817 said...

Great job on your scribe post ,I like how you changed the colors and your video was awesome.

Kimg817 said...

Good job!I like how you change the color of your word and even the video... I learned a lot!

norien873 said...

Great job on the scribe-post. I liked how you had a link, video and pictures. The video is really good and the images make your post stand out and easy to understand.

Carlor 8-14 said...

Nice job! I like how you changed the colours in the important words and I also like the video it was awesome!

Ian814 said...

Great job, you might wanted to put your font lager, also I liked how you made everything colorful.

Isabel873 said...

Good Job Joshua!!! I really like your pictures and your video!!!! I like the song :)

Mary816 said...

Good Job. I liked how you explained how you got every answer. On your video it says Parentheses, and we didn't learn that in math class, so next time you should try explaining what it is.

Mary816 said...

Good Job. I liked how you explained how you got every answer. On your video it says Parentheses, and we didn't learn that in math class, so next time you should try explaining what it is.